Describe or list the major human (anthropogenic) impacts (positive or negative) you observed on that aquatic ecosystem.
For any trip you have taken (or dream of taking!), look at the biome map and note the following observations:
- By note I mean record short, descriptive observations for each question.
- Do NOT write an integrated essay: Answer each question separately.
- Do not be redundant: answer each question within the appropriate section.
- Do not just “make stuff up.” If you do not know a species’ habitat or niche, look that up using a reputable source – and cite your sources!
- Follow any standard citation style, but be consistent. If you do not know what that means, go to the Library or Writing Center or Student Success Center and ask.
1. (20 pts) Biomes
- If you flew, drove or used other ground transportation (which?), what biomes (or aquatic ecosystems) did you you pass over and/or through?
- Once you arrived at your destination (or where you stayed, if you did not travel), what biomes or aquatic ecosystems did you visit or spend time in?
2. (20 pts) Habitats
- What habitats did you observe in those biome(s) and/or aquatic ecosystem(s)?
- NOTE: “Forest” is not specific enough. A forest includes many different habitats.
3. (20 pts) Organisms
- List a few notable species that you saw, or know live in, each habitat.
- NOTES:Species include all types of organisms – not just animals!
- “Species” could include houseplants, pets, garden plants, pests, and humans!
- “Bugs” or “birds” or “rodents” or “trees” are NOT species. They are entire classes of organisms.
- “Monarch butterflies” or “American Bald Eagles” or “Norwegian wharf rats” or “date palms” are species (specifically, they are Danaus plexippus, Haliaeetus leucocephalus, Rattus norvegicus, and Phoenix dylactiflora).
4. (20 pts) Niches
- Describe the niche occupied by each of those species.
- Be sure to include at least one each producer, consumer, and decomposer.
- For consumers, describe whether carnivores, herbivores, or omnivores;
- whether predators, prey, or scavengers, and
- how they are/are not related in food chains and food webs.
5. (20 pts) Anthropogenic Impacts
- Describe or list the major human (anthropogenic) impacts (positive or negative) you observed on that biome or aquatic ecosystem.
- Did you observe any efforts to prevent, mitigate,orrestore negative (harmful) impacts? If yes, what?
- Did you, personally, have any impact (positive or negative)? If yes, what?
- If yes, did you do anything to prevent or mitigate harmful impacts (for example, purchase “carbon offset credit” for your flight)?